Monday, August 20

half-marathon

I'm a little late in posting this... but summer seems to make my brain run slower. Last weekend Liz, Kylee, Kyle and I all ran our first half marathon. It was mostly down hill, which was nice. The people in charge of the race suggested taking the first 4 miles pretty easy since it had the steepest slope and it made you want to sprint down it. Around mile 5, I threw up (tmi?) and then mile 6 took a turn up the canyon, which I was not expecting. After 1.2 miles up, we turned around and headed back down the canyon. Around mile 9-10 I pulled something in my calf muscle... and the rest is a bit of a blur. After crossing the finish line I heard multiple rumors of the course being 14.4 miles long... not 13.1. SO DUMB.
Anyway, even after all of that, I'm planning on doing another half in October. There is nothing more humbling or more motivating than being passed by grandma's, grandpa's and 12-year-old kids running with their parents. Just in case you were wondering.
That night we had a friend's wedding reception to go to about 1.5 hours away. My suggestion? Do NOT take a nap after a race or sit in a car for a total of 3 hours. My legs cramped and walking became a herculean effort. As did any sort of movement for that matter.





1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8/22/2012

    Wow this is great! Please come share your fun again today!
    Wanderlust Wednesdays

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS