Thursday, January 20

Never in a million years

When I turned 8, my grandpa commented on how fast I was growing up. He said, "in just 4 years you'll be in Young Women's!". 
Let's get this straight people, 4 years is a LONG time to an 8-year-old.
I was so excited when I turned 12; FINALLY, no boring achievement day activities! On the way home from Aunt Brie's salon mom actually cried because "her baby girl was all grown up and wearing mascara!". She said "I can't believe this, soon I'll have a 16-year-old in the house!".
FACT: 4 years is STILL a really long time to someone who is 12.
When I turned 16, I was pumped to be able to drive and date. The "2 D's" as they were known. Freedom was at my door, and there was nothing stopping me. Life was all about me and I wanted to take every advantage I could. Dad said "just 2 more years and you'll be out of the house!"
ANOTHER FACT: 2 years to a 16-year-old is an eternity.
Now that all the "milestone years" have passed I like looking back on my 8-year-old mind set, trying to imagine how I thought the next 4 years until I hit 12 would play out. Never in a million years did I think that I would grow to rather dislike primary. Never did I think that N'Sync would go out of fashion, or puka shell choker necklaces, polos from Aeropostale and multi-colored plastic bracelets.
When I was 12, I had no idea that I would meet one of my best friends. That I would go to EFY, get my hair cut short, spend $65 on Etnie shoes that went out of fashion that same year, get a job, find my testimony, move downstairs into the basement and quit playing soccer.
16 came and went. Never in a million years did I imagine that Evie Mejia would be my first date, that I would loose that best friend I had made, and because of that, I'd make even MORE friends, that I wouldn't get my license on the day of my birth, that I would seriously date people from my own town and that I'd be driving my grandpa's truck everywhere.

Now that I'm 18, I still can't believe how my life has turned out. 8 year olds have no idea what to consider mapping out their lives and I was no different.

But as I was walking to the RB today, I had this thought, 
"NEVER in a million years would I have thought that I'd try out for BYU's (a D1 school) volleyball team". :)

3 comments:

  1. Was it so fun? I wanna Skype about he experience...please!!! PS Did ya make it??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/22/2011

    don't leave us in suspense! What happened?!? Love G'ma D

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS