Sunday, June 5

unexpected happenings.

Who just gets heat exhaustion these days? I mean seriously? I am a 19-year-old WOMAN and henceforth should be invincible correct???
no. not right.


Yesterday dad, mom and I went on an 80 minute run in which time I ran about 7.5 miles. Cool story right? Yeah I thought so. It's the furthest I've ever run for crying out loud! So I got back home feeling uber peppy and ready to take on life. As a family we went out to the garden to weed out "the redwoods" which had established themselves there for the winter, so that we could start tilling the ground to begin the Decker Farm.
Did I mention that yesterday's high was about 78*???
After a couple hours of weeding we decide it's time for lunch so we all pile up to hit up Subway and McDonald's (for their delicious real fruit smoothies of course!) Right about the time we hit the McDonald's drive thru I start to get the blind spot thing again.


Oh hey ps: I really don't think I posted this update! A couple of weeks ago I went in to our General Practitioners office to explain the weird things that were going on with my body (if you can recall, the numbing, vision loss, metallic tongue, dizziness etc. episode that happened a couple times last semester). Mom and I had originally thought that it might be due to an iron deficiency because she has similar symptoms and that's what the doctor told her. Anyways, so I went in and got some blood work done. That test came back just fine, so it wasn't an iron issue. The Dr. said that my symptoms seem to be classic migraine symptoms, which are sometimes triggered by excessive physical exercise, lack of sleep, or even some foods. (At which point he hands me a piece of paper with all of these "trigger foods" including: avocados, bananas, cheddar cheeses, chocolate, doughnuts, ice cream, peanut butter, pizza, prepared meats, spinach, vanilla, yogurt, and cola beverages. AKA my entire college diet). In the end he prescribes me a medication that supposed to dissolve under my tongue and if taken at the very first signs of the migraine (namely the vision loss) then it should abort the other symptoms.


Ok so with that past experience now told we can continue. So here I am sitting in the drive thru thinking that I'm getting another migraine so I rush back home, take the medication and go to sleep for 2 hours. Well when I wake up I literally am so dizzy that I couldn't tell where the ceiling was. I crawled off my bed, upstairs to the bathroom because *ahem... being dizzy has BAD side effects for me.... and then I get dad. That's when the numbness started to happen and travel up my right arm towards my diaphragm. Once it hit my diaphragm though it kinda felt like I couldn't breathe fully so I started to panic probably a bit too much. That's about that time we went to the emergency room.
Once at the emergency room they hooked me up to an IV, which I can now fairly say that I do NOT like since I had never had to have that before. They took out some blood to test my blood levels, injected me with some anti-nausea/pain medication and ran me through a urinalysis. (ps: I'm not pregnant! If there ever was any doubts before haha) 
Long story short.... the Dr. at the ER said that he doesn't think my symptoms describe migraines... he thinks they are more characteristic of anxiety issues which is slightly ironic too me. However, he did say that anxiety probably isn't what sent me to the ER; that was just straight up heat exhaustion.
It's all just frustrating because now I'm a lot more timid about pushing myself because I really do NOT want to have go through another episode like that again. Avoiding another IV injection would be LOVELY if I do say so myself.
So yes, here's to the unexpected! I'm just thankful for Dr's and nurses who put a ton of time into their professions so that when over confident women (such as myself) push their limits a bit too far and end up sick,  they can get better asap :)




oh and random thought... I've decided that if all of Hogwarts used Facebook, then Harry wouldn't have had to go through the embarrassment of asking Cho Chang to the ball (in the 4th book) and then finding out she was already going with Cedric. Cho probably would've updated her status saying something to the effect of "I'm so excited to be going to the Ball with Cedric!!", Harry would've read this, and embarrassment would've been avoided.
There's probably a lot that would've been much different if Hogwarts used Facebook.... just food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS