Wednesday, February 8

half marathon

Cliche as this is, Kyle and I decided to run a half marathon this year (well... I decided to, and since we're married now, he decided to join me :) )  We officially started training this week and.... holy moses I am sore.  I hadn't actually gone on a run since like... oh.... last October (being engaged may or may not have had something to do with that) . In preparation for this week I decided to try running a couple miles (and by "couple", I literally mean two) last Saturday and I was shamed by how difficult that was.
Going to the gym isn't one of my favorite things to do so when funny things happen there, it just makes my whole gym-experience so much better. For example, on the aforementioned Saturday I was on the treadmill jogging when this group of four women came in. It was pretty obvious that they were the "we're-setting-a-New-Year's-Resolution-to-workout-more-so-let's-all-get-gym-memberships-together-to-support-each-other" kind of women. Like matchy-matchy too tight yoga pants with too tight black tanks and the same running shoes type of women.
Anyways, they come in and they're talking yelling about how their "good-for-nothing husbands never remember to pick up after themselves" and "how it was just a terrible week" and "OMG! didn't you hear about Kourtney Kardashian?!?!" all the while getting on the treadmills.
Somewhere in between ranting about the husbands and the kids, (I had tuned out of their convo by now) I hear a "CRASH" and I turn around in time to see one of the women getting shot backwards off the treadmill because she had tripped.

It was about this time that I had to pause my run due to the lack of oxygen that came from laughing hysterically.

The very best part though was that the entire gym went dead quite and the three other women just looked at their friend with shock and concern written on their faces. They had no idea what to do. I actually ended up just leaving the treadmill because I couldn't control my laughter!

Going to the gym seems so much better just knowing something funny is going to happen!

Also, Kyle and I ordered some Camelbak water bottles and they came today!!
as evidenced by this:

Oh, and I was wondering if you guys had any good cross-training ideas.  We've been following Hal Higdon's training program and we're looking for fun things to do on the non-running days. We'd appreciate any and all feedback!

Happy Hump Day!

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh...I am laughing SOOOOOO freakin' hard right now! That is partly the reason for me NOT going to run on a treadmill...that would likely be me slingshotting off the back of one. I prefer to trip on non-moving ground and without the rest of the gym membership seeing me as I do it!!
    I say P90x on your off days. Even the yoga one will work wonders on your off days. But I am also a fan on lifting weights while training so as to avoid the ever-so-common "week of race" injury. Erin Palmer just shot me over another training program, which I am so far loving! a little confusing initially but keeps it exciting. Let me know if you want to take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. Erin's plan is awesome. I use p90x yoga and going to do more strength training because i keep injuring myself with my runs. Oh, and nike has a cross fit training app my friend uses. I hear they're good. check it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marathon Training Program This particular is usually apparently essential and moreover outstanding truth along with for sure fair-minded and moreover admittedly useful My business is looking to find in advance designed for this specific useful stuffs…

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS