Saturday, January 28

Everybody is having babies!

It's true.

2 more of my friends announced the other day that they were due! And one of my good friends recently just had her baby shower for her first born due in March.

This morning I was reading through my Aunt's blog as she had just updated, and I cannot begin to describe how cool she is. All my life I've looked up to Megan because of how much happiness she brings with her (....and maybe because everyone has said we look a lot alike. see the resemblance???). Megan has been a huge influence for me; it's because of her that my favorite number is 4, that I play volleyball, and that I currently want short, brown hair.
Megan is a phenomenal mother.  I've never seen a mom be so utterly pleased to be her children's friend. She plays with her kids constantly and teaches them ideas like gratitude and service in such simple yet fun and profound ways.

As babies have slowly been coming to the brain (no... I am NOT expecting!) I've been really evaluating how I am going to approach my motherhood.  This week while I was waiting for Kyle, a mother with her baby boy came and sat next to me.  I turned to look at the baby to give the ever-cliché silly face to him, when he promptly spit up all over my backpack.
Things like this really don't inspire me to have children.

The thing is, I just don't feel like I'm ready for it all. I still call my mom almost daily with questions ranging from household tips to "I can't do it all!" freak-out moments.  How am I ever going to be responsible or knowledgeable enough to do that same thing with my own children?

Megan inadvertently answered that one.  She wrote a post after her youngest and last child's first birthday that explained how panicked she was at first at the thought of being a mother. After having 4 children now she's in love with babyhood.

I'm realizing that it's ok for me to feel unprepared for children.  Honestly, what expecting mother ever feels truly prepared for the next chapter in their life? No one is asking me to be the mini-van driving, lunch making, laundry doing, house-cleaning, dinner-making, children-scheduling mother right now. Those things will come, but not all at once. I'm not going from 0 to 10 kids overnight! Motherhood is a process and when it is time, I will know; and while I may not be prepared for it, I'll be ready to embrace the experience.



But when I do have kids... I hope they look a lil' somethin' like this:







4 comments:

  1. You are so cute and I love your honesty! All of us have felt that way and you will be a GreAt mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off (wipe the tear), WOW. Thanks for making my day! I'm so proud to be your aunt (although that sounds so old--I feel more like an old buddy). You should know that I think I look up to you more than you look up to me. Really. When the time is right, you will be the BEST mom. Because you want to. And because that's the kind of person you are. By the way, I LOVED the pictures of us. LOVED them. And the last pic of the kid gymnast looks like Jonah when he was little. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh! those babies are so cute. can i have one of each please? I loved your post, also. I'm sure you will be a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bunch of cuties! It's funny you wrote this post because I have definitely felt like this before, but then I realized as you did that I won't be ready its okay, and my mom is expecting those calls and freak-out sessions.. I'm sure she did it to her mom! :) You will be great, with time, and experience! :)

    new follower!

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS