Wednesday, March 23

The Merry Month of March

The title is total lie. March is probably my least favorite month of the year. Actually, about mid-February through mid-March is my least favorite. It's the "blahest" weather, nothing really significant happens, and I always look forward to April so much that it seems to just DRAG on.

BUT we explored Utah again! This month we semi-cheated by heading to the Bean Museum at BYU. I hadn't ever been, even when I lived 5 minutes from it. I knew it'd been remodeled recently and that it was free, and indoors (which was necessary given March's bipolar weather), so the decision was kinda made for me.

Milo's got about 3 animals sounds down; "meow", "woof" and, "rawr", and he used them ALL. It was beyond confusing for him learning that butterflies don't make any of those noises.

Livvy, just along for the ride. She's taken to eating her lips constantly, so most of my recent pictures of her look that.


The animals were cool and all, but you know what was the best thing of the entire museum???


The outlet covers. Clearly.


We're all doing great over in our corner of the world. I wouldn't necessarily say I have spring fever, but I am looking forward to not having to bundle up every time we leave the house. I sat down this week and planned out our garden beds. I'm excited to have my own space to grow peas!

Milo's vocabulary has exploded this month. He doesn't speak very purposefully yet, but he will attempt nearly every word we ask of him. He gabbers constantly in his own language and Livvy finds it hilarious. This week I've been exploring all the hype about "baby-led weaning" that I keep hearing about. We honestly haven't really "let" Milo feed himself. When he was about 7 months old, he was going through a massive growth spurt. I was nursing him for 40 minutes, 5-6 times a day, and he would still wake up in the middle of the night super hungry which was unusual for him. He wasn't super into foods yet but we had to literally force him to eat something more since I couldn't keep up with his demand. It took a long, hard month of this but eventually he started eating everything in sight and was MUCH more content. Now though, we've all gotten into the habit of feeding him ourselves. I'm not sure how often he's actually touched food but I know it's not been too often. At a peak moment of crazy this month, I was trying to spoon feed him peas, but I also needed to feed Livvy, so I started nursing her while feeding Milo. Sometimes it takes a crazy moment to realize something needs to change! All this to say; we are working on Milo feeding himself right now and regulating how much he eats. From what I've read I know it's going to be a messy process and he'll take longer to eat than it would if we fed him but I really think we'll all be happier in the long run. Live and learn, right?



Livvy has just chunked up like mad. We weighed her last night and she's 20 solid pounds of blubber. Try as I may, I can't help comparing the two of them. Livvy is 2 inches shorter and 2 pounds heavier than Milo was at this age, which translates to ROLLS ON ROLLS and I'm not mad about it. She accidentally rolled over this month and that's about the extent of her mobility which is taking some getting used to since Milo was rolling EVERYWHERE around 4 months. She has been so much happier this month not having to deal with colic anymore. It feels like we've passed through the worst of the storm clouds and are finally seeing her sunny nature. She gives a HUGE smile when she catches your eye; it widens so much that it seems like she has to turn her head and look away because she can't take how happy she is seeing you. It's a smile that could bring even Ron Swanson to tears. That's not an exaggeration. She's discovered her feet this week which brings us to the "perpetually wet socks" stage of life. She had a few bits of applesauce and has gnawed on a sweet potato fry and wasn't a fan of either. I'm 100% serious when I say that I think she will soon be out talking Milo. I swear she already says "hi!" back to us.


I've been doing really well. 2016 so far has been like finding the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow and rolling around in it. There have, of course, been the small ups and downs, but I'm more mentally and emotionally prepared for them then I have been. I've really upped my dinner game. Going grocery shopping with my sister definitely makes it easier as it holds me accountable to actually go. My Duolingo app tells me I am now 19% fluent in Spanish. I can successfully read some sentences on the back of my Chipotle bag! I started working out this week (my body hasn't forgiven me yet). I have worn makeup every single day this year, in varying amounts, as well as made the bed each day. I'm proud of what I've done so far, but I'm even prouder knowing I won't be disappointed and beat myself up if I don't get a chance to work on a goal for a few days. It's very freeing being more gentle with myself and I hope don't soon forget that.



No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS