Thursday, November 25

Traditions: a long-established or inherited way of thinking or acting

Being Thanksgiving today, I've really had a great chance to reflect on the traditions that my family has during the holiday season. Dictionary.com gave me the above written definition of tradition; out of the 7 different options given, this one served me the best.
Traditionally, (see what I did there?!) traditions are often activities that families do together. My family usually hangs up an old laminated turkey, cut out from the Friend. Then for our family home evenings in November we each come up with a few things we're thankful for, write them down on turkey feathers made from colored paper and stick them on the turkey.
Also from the same magazine is a Crazy Thanksgiving Adlib. Grandma Featherbone has had some of the weirdest Thanksgiving feasts courtesy of the Decker family. With nouns such as earwax, Shrek, Michael Jackson, and Mia Hamm, there was just no way she could walk away unscathed.
These traditions although incredibly fun and meaningful in their own way, do not necessarily fit in with my chosen definition of 'tradition'.

Having this break from school has also given me a chance to further my introspection, mostly due to the fact that I am extremely bored. (Going from an insanely busy schedule to nothing seemingly overnight is somewhat liberating, and confusing). Anyways, the traditions of my family have been made abundantly clear these past 3 months. Saturday morning chores, although somewhat of a sick tradition, has been implemented here in my own dorm, and it has brought me this weird sense of peace. Who knew scrubbing floors would remind me of home so much?
Family prayers at night are still continued.
The tradition of the "3 second rule" still applies for me... but some of my roommates are disgusted by that.
The thinking that antibiotics are miracle workers, staying up late is natural, PG-13 movies can be hilarious, making mistakes is ok as long as you are better for them, and laughing during prayers are all part of my family's tradition, and as such I've inherited that way of thinking/ acting.

Funny how differently traditions can be defined!

Happy Thanksgiving family. I'm more thankful for you today than I have been in my entire life.

2 comments:

  1. EWW! Please remove that picture of me! My nose is bigger than it really is ;)
    <3 U
    `Lysa

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS