Saturday, November 27

[untitled]

The hardest part of blogging for me is coming up with a title.

Anyways, today I came across a blog that truly surprised me. I'm a fairly judgemental person (I'm trying to change!) so when someones inner thoughts aren't expressing the person I thought they were, it really does surprise me.
This blog was amazing. Not necessarily because of the person, but because of the things they blogged about.
All my life I've been amazed with the people who have the gift of expression; the ability to put down in words the thoughts that they're plagued by. I don't have this gift, and if I do, I'm not utilizing it very much. For example, C. S. Lewis has always been able to form sentences that succinctly capture his message. Although I've never had the chance to READ any of his books, the quotes that I hear from him are so simple and yet so profound.
Have you ever noticed that the most meaningful of emotions are expressed in the simplest of words? Sometimes, a simple "I love you" does more for an individual than an "I will follow you across the sky and back and buy you chocolates and flowers and diamonds......" etc.
but now I'm getting distracted.
Sometimes I think that I think too much. It's frustrating trying to find the words to describe my opinions! If I had Lewis' head, I wonder what stories I could tell. I don't know, but I think it's exciting trying to find my "voice" if you will.
In English and in a couple of classes I've had, we were asked to analyze a story, passage, paragraph etc. I always wonder what the authors of the words would say to our interpretations. Maybe we over-analyze their words? What if they just wrote what they did because they felt the need to say something. What if our interpretations are nothing like their original message?
Though, I guess that in this variation there is beauty. I've learned in Biology that variability increases heritability, and oddly enough, I findthis applicable to literature as well. For example, the different variations and interpretations of Shakespeare's work have helped to keep him in society. Spin offs of his plays are found in the media today, keeping him alive.
What will people interpret from my words?

On a side note:
During this 3 day Thanksgiving break I've been watching more TV/DVDs than I have in the 3 months that I've been here! I've successfully completed Sleepless in Seattle, The Importance of Being Earnest, 14 episodes of One Tree Hill, and the first and second DVDs of the special extended version of Lord of the Rings. Those last 2 movies are a total of 8 hours.
Sometimes it feels good to be a pile.

I miss my roommates though. Half of them left over the break to spend time with their families. Not that I blame them in the slightest! Jillian and I have talked more during the week she's been gone than we did all during the summer! I miss Carly and Kimmie too :( The dorm is REALLY quite without them all!

3 comments:

  1. Dude...read the Screwtape Letters!!! It's one of my favorites by C.S. Lewis. I can lend it to you if you want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I'd love to read it :) Can I borrow it over Christmas break?

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS