Thursday, March 15

some marriage advice from someone totally unqualified to give it.

   


I think society has taught us to search for equality in everything. Equality in roles, equality in job opportunities, education etc. Theoretically then, in marriage, if both you and your spouse are equally giving 50%, it should come out to a 100% of a "fulfilling" relationship.

Well, we haven't found this to be true.

If marriage is supposed to be an equation where 1+1 = more than 2 (and we believe it is)... then the 50/50 rule doesn't work. If you're going by that, then it becomes 10x easier to find fault with your spouse. You think, "well shoot, I've done x, y and z... where's your 50%?" Little do you know what they actually have done. Or what they're defining 50% to be. It requires both of you to devote 100% into the relationship. The ironic thing is... if you think you're giving it 100% effort... you're probably not. 100% effort requires more than just thinking about how much you've given; it's about focusing on them and their efforts.

Anyway, just some tidbits of knowledge we've gathered in the oh, 2 months and 25 days we've been married.

Have a Happy Thursday!




5 comments:

  1. love this! it's so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny, because we just went over this exact thing in one of my marriage and family therapy classes... wise beyond your years

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost just gave like 30 scriptural references that your statement is true.... but then I remembered... I'm not married. hahahaha good work thus far :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good advice! i think youre right. just came across your blog & im following now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the "effort requires more than just thinking about how much you've given." This is so true and such an easy pattern to fall into, what have YOU done for ME lately.

    Glad I foudn your blog and so glad that I met you at the blogger meet up! Following you now :) That was like overstimulation for me, so many great people. I'd love to just sit down and REALLY get to know each other. I guess that's what blogs are for!

    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS