Friday, February 1

happy news and awkward news

If we're friends on Facebook you might have read some exciting news earlier this week:

I GOT AN INTERNSHIP!!

It's for the Institute of Self-Reliant Agriculture (SRA). They're an institution that helps developing countries overcome hunger and malnutrition by demonstrating how to create rotational gardens. This strategy allows people to have healthy, nutritional foods year round. Right now SRA has gone into Peru, Ecuador and Kenya and created gardens in a number of villages. The results have been amazing! In fact, the Kenyan government has approached SRA with the idea to implement their strategy within the entire country. In order to do this though, SRA needs to get funding. They're planning to present their project to the Gates Foundation in an effort to secure the funds necessary to carry this out.
That's where my job comes in. Right now, SRA doesn't have quantifiable evidence to show how their gardens have been successful. The research and design classes I've taken for my sociology major have taught me how to gather quantitative data and use it to show statistical correlations and improvements. I'll be gathering data from these countries and analyzing it to numerically show the improvement that has been made using SRA's garden strategy. My analyses will be part of the presentation to the Gates Foundation later this year.
Long story short... it's a HUGE undertaking, but I could NOT be more excited. This is exactly what I've been hoping to do with not only my major, but with my life. Working with a non-profit company has always been a goal of mine, and SRA's strategy completely rings true to me. It's one thing to give food to people who need it, but it's another thing completely to make sure they know how to get healthy, sustainable food. People need an opportunity to learn how to be self-reliant and that's the aim of SRA.

So that's the big news :) I'm so pumped!

AND after numerous questions and requests, here's an awkward story:
I came into class a little early this week and sat down. The other students in the class started coming in, and a girl sat down next to me. She attempted to engage me in small talk; "What's your name, major, hometown" etc. Having answered her questions, she noticed my ring and asked,
"Oh! how long have you been married?"
me: "A little over a year now."
her: "So now it's time to pop out those babies right? When are you thinking about having kids"?
ummmm, WHAT?!
Seriously though. WHO JUST ASKS SOMEONE THAT. I immediately fished it. (Just imagine: open mouth, close mouth, open mouth, close mouth - like a fish breathing). I'm still very impressed that I didn't say one of the million nasty retorts that immediately came to mind.

Ugh... gotta love the BYU bubble. #marriedproblems.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I know how exciting this must be. Congratulations!! That calls for celebrating! I'm so excited to hear all about it.

    amanda @ we and serendipity

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS